Monday, November 12, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like....CHRISTMAS

I know, I know it's so early to be decorating for Christmas, but we're doing it anyway. Just for the record, we've never decorated this early before but since we do a "fake" tree we can do it earlier and this year I'm just needing to get it done. I'll blame it on the fact that I'm pregnant and feel like I have so much to get done before this baby comes and Christmas is one thing I can get started on now. I can't really get the baby's room ready until right before the baby comes because Nathan has claimed her crib and I don't want to kick him out until it's necessary (which might be after she arrives...she can be in a bassinett for awhile). Another reason we're getting ready a little bit early is because we have something to do every weekend from now until Christmas. I love a busy Christmas season, but this is stressing me out slightly. So this weekend, Ryan, Christian and I started to work on the tree. Christian loved the lights and the star on top. He was convinced that we were going to cover it with balls and trains. Unfortunately, we only have one train ornament and it's breakable, so it's not that fun for him. We might need to remedy that.

When Abby and Nate arrived this morning we had a tree with lights, but no ornaments. The three kids quickly helped me fill up one little spot on the tree.
The boys were really taking this project seriously!
Abby was trying to get the boys to organize their ornaments a little bit and not hang them all on the same branch. I assured her that the "girls" could fix it later.

One of my absolute favorite parts of Christmas is reading beautiful Christmas picture books. I have great memories of reading wonderful Christmas books from when I was little. When I used to teach I would choose a different picture book to read each day in December to my class. Needless to say, I have a lot of great Christmas books. Abby was thrilled to find this "princess" book in with all the Christmas books. She thought Mary was a princess. So we read the story and talked about how Mary was even more important than a princess! She got to take care of Baby Jesus.

I think this Christmas is going to be one of the best ones I've ever had. I love having a housefull of children to share in the joy with me. I love talking about Jesus' birthday. I love seeing the reflection of the tree lights in their little eyes. I love making crafts and baking cookies. I love looking through toy catalogs and hearing them "ooo" and "ahh" over all the great stuff. Emma is so sweet... Last week she went through a toy catalog and circled all the gifts she wanted to get for different kids in her class. It had never dawned on her that she wouldn't buy gifts for all her school friends. It probably would have cost about $5000.00 if I had bought everything she circled.

Get ready, I'm going to be posting a lot over the next month and a half!! We've got a lot of great activities planned!!

8 comments:

Sarah Joy said...

I can't wait to see all of your picture from the holidays, Judy. I am excited to get the decorations up here as well, allthough I don't think it will be soon with all these injuries from the accident. Do you guys do a birthday party for Jesus? That is one of my favorite parts of the celebration in our house. Love to you.

Anonymous said...

Now you've done it!! My kids are begging to put our tree up now:) Your's is truly beautiful and I am looking forward to this Christmas so much already. It's going to be wonderful!
-Amy

the mccollums... said...

i love the christmas pictures!! Its almost the middle of November...so I don't think it was too early especially for the kids to enjoy!
Wow...something every weekend?? Sheesh...you guys have some serious plans! :)

Anonymous said...

Now I'm in the mood to decorate. Christian looks so sweet in front of the tree. It's not so bad having a ton of ornaments on one limb this year...next year you'll have a "crawler" at the holidays. Nathan and Abbey are just as cute!!!Thanks for all the updates!
Laurie

Katy said...

How fun is that! I was going to scold you for decorating so early, but I can't blame you! You are going to love the season this year - it's amazing to see it through your children's eyes!! :)

Anonymous said...

Judy, thanks for keeping us posted. I also was planning to decorate early this year. Why not? Then you can enjoy the decorations longer.
The children are so precious--all of them! I send big hugs them and make sure you tell Nathan that I say "Buster Brown" to him.
Emma you're sweet to think of your classmates. Abby I love your smile.
Nathan you are so handsome.
God bless you all.
Love,
Melinda

Anonymous said...

I meant to say Christian you are so handsome (even though Natha is too). I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave Christian out accidentally.

Anonymous said...

Yay for Christmas!! These pictures are beautiful. I love that one spot on your tree is decorated and that the boys were so serious and Abby was so worried. I can't wait to see and hear about all your holiday projects coming up!